Playzone-fit’s Sensory Steps will stimulate your child’s sense of touch as they jump from one texture to another and feel the different patterns. By engaging with different textures, kids will be stimulating sensors within muscles and joints, sparking activity between their brain and skin.
Each texture is inspired by a different ecosystem to help them connect with nature. The five different nature ecosystems the Sensory Steps includes is Forest: tree bark with ants; Fields: honeycomb; River: alligator; Desert: rocks and fossils; and Ocean: coral.
The Sensory Steps are designed for open-ended play to encourage children to be as creative as possible. The more they are encouraged to use them in different ways, the more excited they will become to play!
Different ways to play with Sensory Steps:
- Use as stepping stones to encourage balance and concentration as they try to jump from one to another without touching the floor
- Kids can close their eyes and place their feet or hands on each and name the texture they are touching
- Place a piece of construction paper over a step and use a crayon to color over the different textures
- Press into play dough or wet sand to make art
- Pair with another set of Sensory Steps to play hopscotch indoors
Each texture can be used for a different activity (will vary depending on the age of the child):
- Tree bark with ants: encourage kids to count how many ants are on the tree bark
- Honeycomb: use to sort small rocks or beads
- Alligator: identify the different sizes of reptile scales
- Rocks and fossils: identify the different fossils
- Coral: use as a maze to pour sand or push a marble through
The Sensory Steps are the perfect addition to any playroom or classroom to help toddlers explore their sense of touch, while also giving them an outlet for active play!